Saturday, May 23, 2015

My Cherry Valley Get-Away


            I was informed my trip, to Cherry Valley, would take about three hours.
I plugged in my GPS and there was no such place on my mapping system.  I checked
with my cell-phone and it clearly gave me directions.  After a very brief one hour and thirty minutes I found myself on a very narrow road, surrounded by trailer
parks.  Was someone pulling my leg?  I checked with my phone again and it told me
I missed a turn…less then thirty seconds ago.  I backed up and searched seeing nothing but a dirt road.  Then I spotted, almost totally hidden behind some greenery, a sign, not much bigger then a sheet of paper.  Turn here it screamed
to me.  I turned and there-in began an incredible, memorable and for me
an educational visit.
            After a minute or two I had proceeded up the dirt road into a world I
thought could not possible exist so close to home.  I was about to discover Highland Springs Resort and guess what?  It’s located in Cherry Valley.
            I was much to early for dinner but I checked in at the reception desk and
was given a map of the grounds.  My adventure began.  I walked a short distance, past a Wedding/Reception Tent and found myself, face to face, with one of the largest pigs I had ever seen.  Although penned it looked vicious with two large
teeth, hanging from its mouth.  There were other pigs in the area and they
appeared very docile.  I talked to them and they actually, although cautiously,
approached.  I later learned all of the animals at the resort are organic.  Nature
provides feed and water and all are watched by caretakers to insure they
maintain a healthy life.  Walking a little more I encounter cows, sheep and llamas
all grazing on the hillside.  None are close enough to touch.
            I check my map and learn I am standing very close to a stagecoach stop
from another era.  They ran from Arizona to California and here they stopped
for drop off and to rest, perhaps change horses.
            Around a slight curve in my walkway, I came upon one of the most
majestic sights I have ever encountered.  Standing almost alone, an Oak Tree,
over one thousand years old.  Its trunk was as large as a VW Bug and one of
the lowest branches stretched out in such a manner it appeared to be a large
arm-chair, a perfect photo opportunity if one is smart enough to carry a
camera when they are visiting. 
            Take another turn and I’m walking along a path neatly surrounded by
Olive Trees.  One can’t help but step on the fruit that has dropped to the ground.
A few steps along this path and I’m hit with a chilling feeling.  I already know
where I am but the realization of what I am doing is, for me, truly exciting.  My
steps are literally duplicating those of Wyatt Earp, Irving Berlin, Frank Sinatra, Gene Autry, John Wayne, Elizabeth Taylor and Albert Einstein to name a few.  Historians report Berlin actually wrote a song about this place and they are trying to get a copy.
            Next I locate the area that brings thousand annually to this location.
Fields of Lavender, not yet blooming, but the plants are neatly spaced and
groomed, waiting for their time to explode with color.
            I never check out the other walking trails, the climbing wall, the pool house, tennis courts and the campfire area.  Did step into one of the spacious rooms, they
ooze with a comfortable warmth, are extremely clean and have been recently
upgraded.  The floors are wood and the walls lack the paintings one usually finds
in hotel rooms.  The bed appeared to be like a soft cloud beckoning you to climb
aboard and there are tables and chairs for those that want to relax and perhaps read, write or dine.
            Back in the main lodge, I’m sitting, enjoying an Iced Tea, when I learn
the restaurant is open and I can ignore my reservation, scheduled for two hours
later, and dine now, I took advantage of the opportunity.  The menu is filled
with locally grown or raised items, most of which are organic.  Supply and demand
prohibits the restaurant from claiming an ‘all organic’ menu, but the well trained
and extremely knowlegible staff quickly can inform you what is organic and more
important how every dish is prepared.  The menu is guided by availability and
features fresh greens and vegetables, meat, fish and fowl, combined with an array of herbs and spices expertly prepared. The staff will guide you through the menu with personal recommendations.  You will enjoy whatever you order but, don’t miss their
freshly brewed Lavender Iced Tea and the warm and delicious Jerusalem Artichoke Soup.  It’s not from Jerusalem and contains no artichoke.  It does deliver a great tasting creamy soup that you can’t forget.
            Visit the Highland Springs Resort web site at hsresort.com or call 951.845.1151.  They offer reasonable rates and it’s a perfect close by get-away.  You’re close enough to Palm Springs to drive over and enjoy the Palm Springs Follies.  The Lavender Festival is in the spring and in the summer they offer a Sausage and Beer Festival.  They don’t have facilities for pets, but a couple of miles down the main highway you’ll find the Doggie Spa and Resort.
            My journey back to Anaheim was less then an hour and the one memorable
thing I left out of this article is the amazing silence, no car or airplane noise, no
blaring music, the restaurant quietly serves up classic Dean Martin and as I walked
in total silence to my car, I realize what an incredible day I had spent, at once
calming, relaxing, combined with exceptional dining.  Then I look up into the
black night sky and I see hundreds, perhaps thousands, of stars twinkling bright
and for just a split second I think I can hear them blinking-silently.